The culture is a way of life and the culture of the United Arab Emirates is diverse and consists of a multicultural society. Though the UAE is a Middle Eastern country and is mainly influenced by the Arab culture but being a home to people from other parts of the world, it is a mixture of multiple cultures.
The UAE has a population of 9.89 million from which only 12% are Emiratis and the other 88% consists of expatriates. These expatriates are mainly from India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, etc. All of these countries have their own culture and tradition and now the UAE is their home. The UAE is one of the most tolerable of other cultures, religions, societies, and nationalities, and thus it is a little difficult to understand what the actual culture of UAE is in today’s day and age.
Almost 80% of the population in the UAE is Muslim, making Islam the main religion of the country. The UAE has some of the most beautiful mosques in the world including The Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque which is also a tourist attraction. The UAE also carries out Sharia Law which is the Islamic moral code. The culture in the UAE is intertwined with the Islamic religion and modern society. The rest 20% of the population belongs to religions such as Hinduism, Christianity, Buddhism, etc. All these religions and their customs and traditions are highly respected in the UAE. These cultures have their own temples and churches. The UAE is generally more liberal as compared to other Muslim countries.
The regions, deserts, oases, terrains, and beaches highly influenced the culture of the United Arab Emirates. With the progression of time and modernization of ancestral values, the culture of the UAE has changed large urban area mud houses into extravagant houses and apartment complexes. However, customs, values, standards, religion, language, and morals are still somewhere present inside the UAE locals. The construction has played a vital role in enhancing the culture of the UAE.
Arabic is the official language of the United Arab Emirates but a number of other languages such as Urdu, Hindi, English, Farsi (Persian), etc, are also spoken throughout the country. English is considered to be the second language of the UAE as it is used in academic institutions, businesses, trade, and is a way to communicate between governments of the other countries.
Although the UAE has modernized its food and dresses are still traditional to an extent. The food very much depicts the original customs and tradition of the Emiratis in a form of Arabic dishes. The traditional dress for men is a Kandura and for women, it’s an Abaya. Being an Islamic state the UAE preferred the women to be covered but as time has passed the women has become more liberal and are dressing in western clothes as well.
It was very difficult for the UAE to stay true to its ancestral traditions because the majority being from other countries but they somehow managed to take care of it by being respectful of other traditions. Arabic music, poetry, infrastructure is to this day, a very big part of the UAE.